I really dislike the word “sammie,” because all I ever think of is Rachael Ray saying it in her annoying voice haha. However, I’m too tired to come up with another post title. Wayne was gone this weekend to be in his best friend’s wedding in Michigan. Macy and I didn’t go, and I was pretty bummed that we had to miss it, but that’s life. He got back yesterday afternoon, so my grocery-getting happened later in the day than usual. I usually make something that requires more time on Sundays, because I can, but I just wanted something quick this week. Avocadoes and chicken were on sale, and I was in the mood for a big sandwich, so this is what I came up with….
Crispy Chicken and Avocado Subs
I really wanted these on french baguettes, but apparently if you go shopping after 3 pm, no baguette for you! I did find these pretzel rolls, though, and they were pretty tasty.
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied and halved, pounded thin
- 1 egg, beaten
- Panko bread crumbs, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tomato, thinly sliced
- Romaine lettuce
- Chipotle mayo (just combine mayo and chipotle and adobo in food processor to taste)
- 2 pretzel rolls or french bread
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in egg, then bread crumbs. Place in hot skillet with extra-virgin olive oil. Saute until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Add a little more oil to the pan when you flip the chicken so it gets crispy on both sides.
- Place chicken on pretzel rolls with toppings.