Good evening! So I have like four things backed up on my camera at this point. Here are two really good dinners I made last week…
Kung Pao Chicken
Recipe from Cooking Light magazine, December 2010
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil (I used less)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound chicken thighs, diced (I used breasts)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp brown sugar (I used closer to 1 Tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp fresh, minced ginger (I used powdered ginger)
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 Tbsp chopped peanuts
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and saute until softened. Add garlic, saute 30 sec, stir constantly. Add chicken, saute until cooked through.
- Combine the water, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a bowl, whisk to combine. Add mixture to pan and bring to a boil.
- Add bell pepper and peas to pan, cook for 2 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender and sauce thickens. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Greek Salad with Seasoned Naan
Recipe from Martha Stewart cookbook Great Food Fast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups feta cheese
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- I also added banana peppers and chicken that I marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper for an hour.
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl – whisk to combine.
- Toss dressing with the rest of the ingredients.
Get some wheat naan, pita bread or lavash at the store. Brush it with a mixture of: 1 Tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp lemon zest, 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp dried oregano, and salt/pepper. Bake at 400 for a few minutes until heated and slightly browned.
OMG, this salad was simply amazing. I’ve been craving sour things lately, so the vinegar and lemon and salty feta was just perfect. I even got some fancy olives from the deli. Mmmm!!