Apparently Wayne goes to a certain Chinese place for lunch quite frequently with a coworker. He has asked me more than a few times if I knew how to make hot and sour soup. I had heard of it, but had never seen it or eaten it. I thought he would just forget about it, but he was persistent. He wanted some hot and sour soup! So, I googled a recipe and bought my first ever can of bamboo shoots haha.
It definitely has a random list of ingredients, but trust me, it works. Maybe I’m the only one who’s never had this stuff at a restaurant, but I’m definitely a believer now. It had the perfect balance of hot and sour, and I loved all the different textures between the chewy chicken, soft tofu, and crunchy green onions.
Easy Hot and Sour Soup
Recipe from HERE
4 cups chicken stock or broth
3 Tbsp soy sauce (I recommend low-sodium soy sauce)
1/4 cup cooked shredded chicken or pork (I used more than a measley 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
1/2 Tbsp garlic chili sauce (I used Sriracha – start with 1 tsp and add more to taste)
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup canned bamboo shoots, julienned
3 oz block of tofu, cut into 1/4 inch dice (I used extra firm tofu and pressed the excess liquid out beforehand by cutting the block into slices and pressing it between a clean towel)
2 Tbsp cornstarch and 2 Tbsp cold water
1 egg, beaten
2 green onion stalks, diced (including tops)
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1. Bring chicken broth to a simmer in a 2-quart saucepan.
2. Add soy sauce, shredded meat, mushrooms and garlic red chili paste.
3. Simmer for five minutes.
4. Add white pepper, white vinegar, bamboo shoots, tofu.
5. Simmer for five minutes.
6. Combine two tablespoons of cornstarch with two tablespoons of cold water in a cup. Stir until mixture is smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to soup and stir well.
7. Simmer for five minutes until soup is thickened.
8. Beat egg in a cup until yolk and white are combined. Pour beaten egg slowly, in a fine stream into soup. Stir soup several times.
9. Wait 30 seconds.
10. Add green onions and sesame oil to soup. Stir well. Remove from heat.
11. Serve hot.