How many of you immediately just thought of Zack Morris? Ok, maybe I’m the only one. So yesterday I got a wake-up call of sorts. As I may have mentioned a couple times over the past few months, I’ve gained some weight. Keep in mind, I am still a newlywed. I won’t make excuses, though. The reasons are many but basically boil down to: a) I eat my feelings. b) I’ve more-or-less quit working out. It’s not good, I know this. Sooo, for the millionth time in my life, I’m trying to get back on the train. Oh, the wake-up call? Seeing my actual weight at the doctor’s office. I haven’t weighed myself since before my wedding in April 2009… which is when I was probably the thinnest I’ve ever been. To say I was shocked is an understatement.
Soooo…. preppy, you ask? Yes, preppy. Well, more like prepping. I believe that preparation is the key to eating well. Since list-making is one of my specialties, here’s one:
* Plan your meals every Sunday (or whatever day works for you, obviously)
* Make a grocery list and stick to it!
* Only keep healthy foods in the house, if those chips aren’t in the pantry, you can’t eat them!
* Clean/prep/cut your veggies after you’re done shopping so they’re ready to use
* Pre-portion snacks so they’re readily available. Take them to work with you. I usually always have pretzels, almonds, Z-bars, Kashi bars, and/or whole fruit etc. etc. stashed in my desk.
* DRINK WATER!!! Have some with you at all times… in the car, next to your bed, at your desk at work.. Drink it when you’re hungry. Drink it when you don’t think you’re thirsty. Drink it even if you don’t feel like it. See how much you can drink by the end of the day.
* If you know you’re going to “splurge” for dinner one night, plan to eat a little less for breakfast and lunch. It’s all about balance.
* Eat at least one fruit and/or veggie with each meal (and as snacks, too, if you can!). They’re filling, nutritious, and you won’t have room to eat junk if you stick to this goal.
I obviously do not stick to my own rules all the time, or else I wouldn’t be so pudgy right now. Writing this list helps me remember all the things I know that help me stay balanced. I’m really really hoping I can stay on track this time for more than a few days… it’s been extra hard for me with all this MN stress happening… but this is unacceptable damnit. I’ve also decided to count my calories for a week or so just to re-set myself. I absolutely hate doing this because it’s so tedious, but it needs to be done for a little while.
OK. So here’s what I had for dinner tonight:
just-shy of 1 oz. of pepper jack cheese, Morningstar tomato basil burger, small steamed sweet potato, kale chips, and 1T. BBQ, 1 T. ketchup, and grainy mustard for dippage. Total cals: approx. 371.
Side note… this is the first time I’ve had kale. Kale chips are alllll over blogland, and I’ve been meaning to try them. I have to say… I was not a fan. Maybe I got old/bitter/bad greens, but these just tasted chemically or something. The texture was pretty cool… they just melt in your mouth. I may be trying them again, but prolly not anytime soon. I almost threw the rest of the raw kale away, but I decided to boil it and cook it like I saw here on Escape from Obesity. Just wash, chop, and boil for about 20-30 minutes. Then I sauteed 2 slices of turkey bacon and some minced onion… added the cooked kale back in for a few minutes and seasoned with salt and 1/2 tsp olive oil. WAAAAY better than the chips. This will be part of my lunch tomorrow, and I’m so excited.
Another thing I preppy prepped? Pomegranates. Yummm! It does take some time to pluck all these gems out of the rind, but it’s worth it.
Lastly, my breakfast is all prepped and ready to go for the morning… another blogland staple:
Equal parts of quick oats, milk, and greek yogurt (I used 1/4 cup of each). Stir in some sweetener of your choice and maybe some vanilla extract and cinnamon. Let sit overnight and top with endless variety of items. On mine is 2 tsp of ground almonds and 1/2 Tbsp of almond butter. I will also be putting a chopped honeycrisp apple in the bowl in the AM.
I’m feeling a tad bit exposed writing all this… but I’m hoping the writing will keep me somewhat accountable. We shall see! Toodles for now.