Today my mom came to visit, and she was bearing food! Woot! We enojyed a nice turkey and veggie lasagna, green salad, and whole wheat apple bars. Mmmm mmm good! Best part is… I didn’t have to cook today! After mom had a good laugh at my photo shoot with the food… we dug in.
Now for dessert….
Whole Wheat Apple Bars
– The Kellogg’s Cookbook
4 cups Kellogg’s corn flakes (mom used bran flakes)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (mom used Splenda brown sugar, converts into 1/4 cup)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups grated, unpeeled apple
1/2 cup corn syrup (eww, mom omitted this and used a couple Tbsp of applesauce)
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup raisins
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
– Preheat oven to 350
– Coat a 9 inch pan with cooking spray
– Crush the cereal to a fine crumb – use ziplop bag and rolling pin. You should get 1 cup.
– Combine crumbs w/both flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, salt
– Stir in egg, apple, corn syrup, and oil
– Fold in raisins
– Spread mixture in prepared pan with spatula
– Bake about 35 minutes or until toothpick/cake tester comes out clean
– Cool on wire rack
– Sift powdered sugar onto bars once cooled, cut into 24 squares. (Mom made a quick glaze).
The Verdict: Delicious of course!! The lasagna hit the spot since none of us had anything “tomato-y” in awhile. And we couldn’t stop eating the apple bars! Definitely a winner. Thanks Mommy!! 🙂